View Single Post
Old 18-07-2021, 12:19 AM   #15
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: XR4 3D Printed Centre Caps

To be honest, I wasn't doing this to go into the market and sell, I was just trying to find something that would solve my missing cap problem.

I also wasn't sure whether this would end up being much cheaper. The layered original caps do look dreadful close up. And given the support I need to use under them they take almost a day to print. The flat caps are a bit quicker and look a whole lot better in the flesh, but they still take awhile to print.

I could probably do caps for $10 each plus postage if people really wanted me to, but I'm not an expert printer, and while they do look pretty good, there are always small blemishes on each print just due to the nature of 3d printing.

You'd still need to get 65mm centre badges, and buy some plastic primer and Ford UI paint from Supercheap Auto to finish them off. To iron out blemishes you could possibly use plastic primer filler and sand back, but that's quite a manual process and I don't usually do that myself.

Does that end up cheaper than the OEM caps for a product that is plastic and, in the case of the layered printed caps, not up to the standard of the OEM items?

Lukeyson