View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 11:49 AM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Ineos Grenadier - interesting marketing concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Think those big mine trucks have electric motors on each wheel, with a big diesel powering them - correct me if wrong, any mine mechanics.

Been watching a lot of 4x4 vids lately and I reckon the Grenadier's premise is the correct and best path. Way back when work trained me for 4x4 and remote, the instructor was very old school, live axles, keep your wheels on the ground, diesel manual, low, low reduction gears, deploy your low/lock before you need it, adjust the tyres in anticipation etc, as simple as possible mechanicals, kind of thing. Even stuff like digging in spare tyres and using as winch points (!) and using your own rear rim as a winch (!!).

I've been watching a lot of stuff with the traction control and IFS 4x4s (eg any modern dual cab, things like L322s) and while the climbing ability is brilliant, there's so much time with one wheel stuck up in the air and often slamming back down. Seeing an old live-axle car go with all wheels on the ground, great chassis twist, large articulation is very satisfying. And we've done a bit ourselves in the Disco 1, which has been heaps of fun.
Interestingly enough, the Bronco with IFS has more wheel travel than the Jeep Wranglers live axle. If you design it right, it's not a hindrance.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote