View Single Post
Old 13-07-2020, 09:59 PM   #116
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The WORST Falcon model, and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Project Capricorn was the problem. The stretched Mazda 626 FWD they were going to turn into a Falcon. They wasted 2 years on the stupid thing before it dawned on them that it was never going to work. It was just too long and skinny, and they couldn't widen it enough to make it not look like a sausage.

Then they had to rush EA to market 6 months before it was ready, because they wasted so much time on the bloody thing.

I wonder how things would have gone if project capricorn was never started, and they went to work on EA26 2 years earlier.

Probably could have killed Holden right there and then.
I wonder if part of the problem was that FoA had become too accustomed to "trailing" Holden?
I reckon by the late 60's we had honestly better cars, but too many people still preferred Holden.
FoA didn't seem to comprehend that even by sticking a new body on the XC, they had knocked the lamentable VB off the Holden pedestal. I can recall there being talk of how Ford needed to make the Falcon smaller to compete.
Then of course they had the amazing success with the Laser, which seemed to convince everyone that badge-engineering was the way to go.

I don't recall the specifics of Capricorn. But I do recall they toyed with the idea of a badge-engineered Luce (929)