View Single Post
Old 29-03-2011, 02:02 AM   #53
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 
Default Re: Raging Rhino XYGT @ WSID!

Congrats on the 10!! That's some great times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYGTHO
Any tips on racing the manual with gearing like that mate? What revs do you launch at? I am now running 3.5's (rather than 4.11's I took out) with a toploader and pretty sure I have no idea or would be crap to start with trying to race. Its a Iron 2V 366 with a 600+lift solid etc so like revs.
Have a look at that youtube vid posted here with the launch.....the big thing with a manual and slicks is after the clutch dump and traction bites in....the car will really want to pull the engine revs down and stall the car. ie: you don't have a hi-stall converter to keep the revs up.

So.....rule number 1: don't be worried about your first ET....just don't stall the car with the GM plonkers looking

Then it's simply a matter of balancing the revs to get a nice launch. Too low and it will bog off the line.....too high and you might "shock" the tyres and blow them off with a bit of wheel spin.....or fry your clutch Just a matter of getting out there and having some fun and taking things steady. I wouldn't worry about the stress of pulling great times on your first time out.....just get a feel for the car. Over a my first few visits I ended up pulling almost 2 seconds off the times.

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote