View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: Dealer vs Normal Mechanic

I've had rubbish independent and good independent mechanics.

The dealership is an interesting one as I've noticed an improvement over the years at my local Ford one.

I've priced up a proper log book service at good independents and they're not much cheaper. I get free roadside with Ford so it actually works out to be a better price.....I've also had warranty work out of the warranty period approved quickly cause the servicing is done through a dealer. They're also close.

Funny enough went to an independent for my wifes old XR. I wanted a proper logbook service (I stated this over the phone) and was told a price (funny enough Ford pricing). Also had the coolant changed at the same time.

After picking it up the wife noticed the log book hadn't been stamped. So I was in the bad books because I said to go here. I had to go back and I was told that they don't do log book servicing but they do their special servicing. Personally I don't care. I asked for a log book service for a reason. The bit that got me really worried was the fact that they thought the car was an auto.

Funny enough the coolant change wasn't done properly and was about 800ml out. Which I replaced and never lost till the car was traded about 18 months later.

This car went back to Ford for servicing after that. Also I won't go to the independent anymore because the trust was lost. Also I cannot recommend them.

But there are Ford dealerships I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole.