View Single Post
Old 07-04-2023, 06:25 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Tesla ‘autopilot’ crash driver to stand trial after critically injuring woman

This one doesn't belong in the alternative power section as we're going to discuss the 'auto pilot' function and driver responsibilities rather than the car itself.

We've got a trial coming up in Melbourne about an accident with a Tesla on 'autopilot':

Quote:
Tesla ‘autopilot’ crash driver to stand trial after critically injuring woman

A woman who claims her Tesla was on autopilot when she struck a nurse trying to board a tram will stand trial after a court heard the 24-year-old driver allegedly fled the scene and left the victim with critical injuries.

Sakshi Agrawal, a loading dock manager contracted by Victoria Police, was travelling along Wattletree Road in Armadale in a Tesla 3 when she hit acute care nurse Nicole Lagos about 6.30am in March 2022.

Lagos was thrown and dragged between 15 and 20 metres along the road, which left her with life-threatening injuries.

Agrawal previously told Melbourne Magistrates’ Court she was driving her Tesla on autopilot.

Following a day of witness evidence on Monday, magistrate Natalie Haynes found there was sufficient evidence to support a possible conviction and ordered Agrawal stand trial in the County Court.

Agrawal has pleaded not guilty.

Earlier in the day, veteran tram driver Glenville Pereira said he was stationary and waiting for a passenger to board when a Tesla vehicle went “whooshing” past and struck Lagos.

Pereira said he had started to slow his tram about 100 metres from the stop when he noticed a woman sitting and waiting on route five.

Pereira said that when he put on the indicators and opened the doors, he watched the woman stand and begin walking towards the tram in the dark, until she disappeared.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...03-p5cxj3.html

Long story short - when the tram stops, you're also supposed to stop to let passengers get on/off the tram.

I learned this one the hard way when I started working in inner Melbourne and started having to share the road with trams for the first time - me and a tram passenger both needed new underwear when I saw the tram up ahead slow down so I got in the left lane and went past it, someone went to get off the tram and nearly stepped off the tram into my A pillar, new underwear required for both of us

Curious to see how this goes in court with this Tesla 'auto pilot' function, if they're just going to blame the driver or this goes further with Tesla in Australia and they're no longer allowed to call this 'auto pilot'.

Also AFF's favorite automotive journalist has his two cents on this one too:

Whats your thoughts, is this one on the driver or is this shared responsibility between the driver and them using a function where the car is supposed to drive itself?

Who remembers when active wear brand Lorna Jane (lol I'm sure we're all subject matter experts on womens activewear here on AFF) got in **** in our courts for claiming their leggings were 'anti virus' and implied their leggings protect the wearer from COVID?

Quote:
Australian activewear brand Lorna Jane has been slapped with a 5 million dollar fine for falsely labelling activewear as, ‘Anti Virus.’

Last year, Lorna Jane began marketing its activewear as ‘Anti Virus,’ assumedly aiming to appeal to anyone concerned about COVID-19.

The brand advertised that its activewear was sprayed with an ‘LJ Shield’ – the shield was meant to protect wearers from pathogens.

The ‘Anti-Virus Activewear’ positioned itself as a ‘Cure’ for the spread of the highly contagious disease.

Lorna Jane went so far as to use the slogan, “Cure For The Spread of COVID-19? Lorna Jane Thinks So.” The slogan was then featured on advertisements for the brands’ websites, stores and socials.

Unsurprisingly, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) took the activewear brand to court over its COVID-19 claims.

Chairman of the ACCC, Rod Sims said: “It was dreadful behaviour, aiming to make a profit out of peoples’ concerns.”

Lorna Jane admitted in court that its COVID-19 claims were not backed by science and while claims against Lorna Jane Clarkson, as an individual, were dismissed. This honesty did not result in the brand receiving a light penalty.

According to ABC News, Justice Darryl Rangiah handed down his decision on Friday and said: “The advertising campaign was conducted in July 2020, at a time of considerable uncertainty, fear and concern amongst the public about the consequences and spread of COVID-19.

“Lorna Jane sought to exploit that fear and concern of the public through the use of misleading, deceptive and untrue representations about the properties of LJ Shield activewear.

“Lorna Jane sought to profit from the fear with concerns of the public in a way that involves unlawful conduct in contravention of the relevant provisions of the Australian Consumer Law.”

Justice Rangiah reasoned that a large penalty had to apply because of the seriousness of the brands conduct. He then fined the activewear company 5 million dollars.
https://www.bandt.com.au/lorna-jane-...vid-19-claims/

Surely you could extrapolate this to Tesla and its 'autopilot' feature where the car supposedly drives itself? Its literally called 'autopilot'.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-04-2023 at 06:39 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: