View Single Post
Old 02-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #21
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: East Coast floods

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I didn't think insurance covered force majeure, unless you had a special policy taken out.
I think alot of it comes down state by state policies for various insurers.

I know from experience all home, contents and vehicles policies here come with flood cover by default. Our vehicle policies with Allianz definitely do, as with AAMI before it.

But you can remove flood cover from home and contents if you want to lower the premium. We don't have flood cover, nor is it even offered, because its unnecessary being 42m above sea level.

That said some insurance companies may refuse to offer someone flood cover for home and contents because of risk. And I know people who have car policies where flood cover is excluded for particular addresses, like their home address.

Quote:
Mate from Brissy said people tried this in 2011. People deliberately left their lemons in the basement. Those that took it to court, lost, reason is that because they were given plenty of notice (2 weeks?) and did nothing.
Yeah... That was the definition of stupid.

In every car policy you will find words to the effect of "it is the insureds responsibility to do everything in their power to mitigate loss or damage to the vehicle".

So don't leave doors unlocked, keys in easy access, keep it in good condition, don't let known morons drive it, etc, etc.

My policy specifically says:

Quote:
moving your vehicle from rising flood waters if it safe to do so;
So yeah, I'd expect that if they were given ample warning, had the ability to move the car and didn't their claim would have been denied.

It's the same clause that allows the insurer to deny the claim if you leave you car warming up in the driveway and someone jumps in and drives off.

But ultimately, I know people do it, but whether their claim is successful is another thing.

And that is all beside the usually 2 or 3 day waiting period before cover kicks in on new policies, for those who try game the system.

Quote:
This one seemed more sudden? Although mate said Gov stuffed up and didn't give warning when they should have. Apparently the night before the flood, Ana said it was safe to go out....or something like that.
In all honesty, and I dont mean to offend even though I know I will, people like your mate sh*t me talking like that. I don't know if they are intentionally being slow or just stupid.

We had friends and family from Victoria calling since Monday last week because they were seeing reports of the next apocalypse. They thought Water World was becoming true and Kevin Costner was going to start filming a sequel here. It wasn't reported like that here then, but it did grow in strength and quantity from mid week. So it wasn't unknown.

If the BOM predict a monsoon and it doesn't happen, the first thing people say is "useless pr*cks couldn't organise a root in a brothel". If something appears out of nowhere that wasn't predicted, these same people say "useless pr*icks could have warned us". Damned if they do, damned if they dont.

But this is Queensland. It's late summer. If it isn't a cyclone, its the effects or after effects of an off shore or ex cyclone or its some monsoonal rain somewhere. People should be prepared, ready and read what's happening do decide for themselves. Shouldn't have to wait for a government warning. It's not exactly unprecedented.

The one a few weeks ago was sudden. This one I think had reasonable warning and people roughly knew what was going to happen.

But that is just one idiots opinion...

Our refugee friend saw what was happening and knew he should have left Thursday, but he had commitments to work and by Friday afternoon it was impassable.

Haven't heard much from Chicken lady at all during this, not that I've gone looking. Only thing I remember hearing was something about Wivenhoe Dam being at 184% capacity and they/she saying they weren't going dump any water and it was fine. I remember Bligh saying something similar in 2011.

Also spare a thought for what happens to the victims when everything is cleaned up and gone back to "normal" for them.

I know insurance premiums will rise for all of Queensland. I'm expecting a $500 to $600 rise on the next bill now. It will be argued down and absorbable for us, but there are plenty doing it hard who won't be able to.

For the direct victims their insurance will likely triple or even more. I remember after one Maryborough flood people saying their new premium was $5k for the house and $6k for $50k contents. Prices them out of the market so they become uninsured.

Plus you'll find alot of these victims will now be refused insurance because of risk, so they have to go it alone.

Alot of properties in Maryborough by the river have been uninsurable for years. Companies wont take the risk. So they have gone it alone for years, and been done twice within weeks, and will continue to go it alone for years to come.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: