View Single Post
Old 28-08-2021, 07:03 PM   #14
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ or XR4 Front Strut swap to WS Front Struts

Struts are on. Tie Rods are on. It looks like this comination might have it sitting a bit tall with XR4 springs and WS struts. With this WS knuckle arrangement, it might actually need proper Mk8 ST struts to get it to the right height. It's not lowered off the hoist yet so we'll see.

The old WQ driveshafts were in the knuckles the tightest I have ever seen! I had a puller fully tensioned up using the air gun, and was banging on it with a lump hammer, moving it half a mm each iteration. I was so glad when I finally got them out. Longest part of the day was spent just on those bloody axles in the knuckles!

With it mostly back together, I was nearly at the point of un-hoisting today, but the front right bearing was not repressed into the knuckle right and is going to need the driveshaft re-installed to hold it into place. I was hoping to leave the shafts out ready for when I pull the motor out of it in the coming months, but not any longer. I'm also waiting on some brake pads for the rear disc setup I swapped in so I can park it on a hill, so they need to arrive before I roll it out for the moment (and get on with some other work).

The front WS brake caliper hoses also nip up perfect to the WQ fixed line endpoints. Seems like it was meant to be.

I still don't have the right XR4 rear brake lines as mentioned before, but my brake line and flare tool have arrived, so I'll take a crack at making those up tomorrow too.

Lukeyson