Thread: "It's the Law"
View Single Post
Old 30-08-2020, 01:11 AM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: "It's the Law"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseneck View Post
Kinda wish that I could put in HID or LED globes into an AU headlight assembly in the low beam position and get it passed for registration and I'm fully willing to comply with the law in all regards however there is no means of adapting an AU Halogen headlight assembly into a projector type and making it legal. Even if you were to cut out the halogen lenses and fit projector style lenses they wouldn't be able to be adjusted left or right up or down.

And I have no intentions of modding one.

That is the problem here. You cannot modify anything at all without running foul of inspectors even if its done with the best of intentions. However overseas you can find plenty of HID projector lenses moulded to fit perfectly cars which never left the factory with HID or LED lenses all available online. I'm even so nervous talking about this online that I'm sure that some boomer will pipe in and say something to the effect of "don't you dare think about importing one of those for your AU" even though none exist available to buy I'm 100 percent sure that I'll get blasted for thinking it.

I also have no intentions of importing one.

But you know what, those same boomers will fit a foff fifty five watt HID kit to their hilux/landcruiser and scream profanities at you as they drive past. The rules don't apply to them. **** them.

And god help you if you talk about doing this (even a little bit) to anyone out in the real world you'll lose your head by one of the boomers. ****ing honestly is this what Australia is like? All the boomers think we're stupid and think that they're gods?

The people throwing around high powered commodores and falcons in the 80s and 90s and wrapping it around a telegraph pole really did a number on this nation didn't they? Scared it ****less.

I spose if I lost a kid to a car crash I would be against car mods too. But you know what you can crash a car and get killed in it no matter if its modded or not. Talk about intending to hit a nail and instead hitting your thumb. Last time I checked headlight mods aren't high power performance mods. But it gets put under the same banner.

Even if you told the boomers that you started a factory manufacturing AU falcon lenses I'm sure they'd stare at you "yeah but its not legally recognized and you have to get that approved by the authorities first" in a loud screaming voice. which of course takes a lot of time and money to do so.

So the modding community in Australia is underground and done in amateurish ways, I won't comment on performance mods as they are well engineered but as for headlights, never heard of any well engineered HID reflectors being made for the AU.. But overseas primarily in the US its flourishing. I envy that.

Typical hard british attitude, treat everyone like convicts.

The problem here is attitude.
With our ADRs HIDs need auto levelling systems in their projectors, that's why hardly any of the cars in our market aside from the expensive stuff had HIDs until recently.

I bought the genuine HID assemblies from Ford Germany for my Focus, it cost a couple of thousand bucks landed for the RHD variants of the headlight assemblies and ballasts, no auto levellers but super clean cut off as they were the proper HID setup for the car, never got flashed by anyone, no police attention either.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 30-08-2020 at 01:17 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: