View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #1073
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Triple M are doing a full day of radio today with no ads, no mic breaks, no news, etc.. the aim is to 'give guys a chance to talk' about their mental health. I'm not sure if this is nation wide or Newcastle only.

I don't know if anyone else is from Newcastle area but I noticed last Friday the normal morning presenters (Tanya and Steve) weren't on air on Triple M. On Monday they had a great chat on air about the circumstances around it.

Steve explained he has some mental health issues and triggers (didn't go into his trigger on air). Something hit his trigger early in the week and he spiraled until Friday morning, no sleep, I'm assuming heavy drinking (they often reference his drinking on air), feelings of being a burden (sounds familiar to me), 'no one' to talk to (he has separated from his wife in recent years).

He had showed up at the studio Friday morning and couldn't go on air, told his crew he couldn't do it and walked out. This was the lowest his colleagues had ever seen him. Tanya (the other presenter he has known for 20yrs plus) followed him home and waited outside his house, checked on him through the day until he had slept and was in a state to talk to her.

This is a guy at the top of his career with many years of number 1 rated breakfast radio show, some level of fame and fortune, close and caring friends and family and he still suffers and has 'bad' days.

I was very impressed with them for actually airing the story and having an open and honest discussion on air, not just glossing over the absence.

maybe the stigma of mental health will slowly be eroded and having a 'sick day' or two for mental breaks won't be so difficult in the future.