View Single Post
Old 17-05-2020, 12:26 AM   #1019
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Hi Oldel,

I might be able to help a little bit on the gardening. But first: so there I was laid up in bed after surviving heavy medical situation and nearly dying (led to anxiety, something like PTSD I guess, that's it's own story) and I'd made a planter box and planted some wheat, which had sprouted nicely. I just wanted to grow some wheat. Spent a bit of time on wheat farms when I was younger.

So my mum flew over to help and she's all busyness, finding things to do, making the house immaculate, being a real help. Then she starts weeding and finds my wheat. Later I go "Mum, where's my wheat?" and she had weeded the lot out!

OK - how to get really good planter boxes without paying for pots. We use broccoli boxes that you can get free from the grocer. They are white, about 50cm by 20cm. When we get one, we take the lid and then cut it down so it slides inside the box section. We get some plumbing pipe and cut about 5cm high offcuts of it, place 3 of these in the bottom. Then the cut-down lid goes on top of these. We then cut a hole in one of the ends of the box section, at about that 4 to 5cm height off the bottom of the box. This is a water overflow hole. In one corner, we put a length of about 40cm of the plumbing pipe, vertically, straight down, and cut a hole in the corner of the lid so the pipe goes below this - this pipe is the water top-up. On top of the lid, we put in potting mix, manure etc and then plant our seeds.

I'm not a good gardener, but it is crazy how easy it is to get a good a yield using these. Everything I've grown in them works. If I forget for a day or 3, no worries, just top up with a hose until the water overflows out the hole. The plants get nice soil and constant water, their roots grow down into the water. Over a couple of years the styrofoam will begin to leak a little, so get another box.

A bit of food for thought. I've been through a lot in the anxiety/fear of death dept, think I've made it through (you reach acceptance), these threads are a really great place to reach out with a little anonymity if you wish, I wish you well, cheers!