View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #22
Trendseeker

Default Re: "Autonomous" Cars - here now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
I had a hire car with the adaptive cruise shindiggery and it caught me out. I was in the slow lane approaching a slower car with faster cars over my shoulder, I accelerated hard to merge and the car did the exact opposite as it reduced power the closer I got to the car in front. The harder i pushed on the pedal the slower I went, thought id broken it. Didnt merge but also didnt hit the car in front...
I’ve overtaken other cars with the cruise active recently and didn’t notice any issue, although I suspected that I moved straight into the next lane rather than accelerating in the same lane first.

So I tested it today and the adaptive cruise does not prevent you from moving closer to the car in front if you press the accelerator. When you press the accelerator the digital panel displays “Override” and the car responds as you would expect. I had the cruise distance set to the maximum and I was able to move a lot closer to the car in front by accelerating. As soon as I took my foot off the accelerator the car applied the brakes and moved back to the set distance and resumed the same speed as the car in front.

So, what type of car were you driving with adaptive cruise?