View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 11:02 PM   #15
Trendseeker

Default Re: "Autonomous" Cars - here now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Thanks for the above.

Ok, so what I don't understand is the difference between the braking and the radar cruise.

If I have the adaptive cruise set, won't it use the brakes to slow down? I just assumed than in modern cars it would all be integrated?

It's not that I would actually plan to snooze, but IMO the danger is learning to rely on a system, becoming relaxed such that my attention lessens, then the system fails. NB Suddenly having alarms blaring, and the brakes slam on, isn't that appealing either. Especially if the dill behind is paying attention.
Yes, adaptive cruise does use the brakes to slow down. But adaptive cruise doesn’t work below 20kph, so it won’t bring the car to a complete stop if the car in front slows right down. But emergency braking does work below 50kph so that will kick in and you’ll be like the Volvo truck in the clip above.

There are all sorts of warnings and qualifications in the manual about situations in which the safety features “may not work”. You have to remain alert, although you can rest your right foot a lot longer with adaptive cruise control, especially on motorways where there are speed limit changes for roadworks. The driver in front slows down and speeds up and the adaptive cruise adjusts your speed to match. That’s about as far as it goes.