View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #11
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Road Trip USA in a Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thFordWA View Post
Re the GPS. I had booked a basic rental, the Fusion was a great upgrade, so wasn't expecting onboard GPS. Plus my logic is to leave home with a fully updated GPS, which I am familiar with, rather than an unknown quantity. Since the US trip, have used it in Europe and UK, both of which cars were not fitted with GPS. It has been a good buy.
When I did a US road trip 6 years ago, I did exactly the same thing... Took my trusty Garmin with me.

I rented the USA map data for 30 days (cheaper than buying it) and preloaded every place of interest I was going to visit plus all my motel stays.

I hired a Lincoln Continental SUV which came with a GPS, but it is much easier to use the GPS you are familiar with, especially when you have to concentrate driving in a foreign country and on the other side of the road on US freeways.

The Lincoln was a pleasure to drive with all the luxuries and my Garmin never led me astray.

I would highly recommend taking your own GPS preloaded if going overseas on a road trip.

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: