View Single Post
Old 24-01-2017, 03:06 AM   #2682
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie View Post
Obviously im not a techi. Or id probably not be in the position im in all the time.
Ive got malware and virus protection that says the computer is clear and safe?
There is alot of cr@p i have never used nor will i ever on here when i got the computer. Yet there is no word or excel or paint etc on it due to now having to pay a cr@ppy yearly rate etc for it.
To me i think the computers have most definitely been getting slower as the programs get newer xp, vista, windows 7 etc etc.
Tempted to wipe it and try putting my old xp onto it with all my programs i have purchased, word, excel etc.
I get what you're saying. Even though I don't like making assumptions, I'm going to go ahead and assume that your laptop uses an Intel CPU (mainly because of the price you quoted).

Intel is no longer focusing on making performance increases with each new generation of CPU and they are mainly focusing on energy efficiency instead. They have no real competition (AMD has been lagging way behind for many years) and have no real reason to put out better chips from a business perspective. There is actually a lot of politics behind it all but it seems that all CPU manufacturers have been focusing primarily on the mobile market, which is probably another reason the benefits are mainly seen for energy efficiency as well.

This is the reason you're not seeing the performance increase you (rightfully) expect. To be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed when I upgraded from my ancient LGA 1156-based system to an LGA 1151-based system as well. However I did see many other benefits besides just outright speed so that made it all acceptable.

tl;dr: Intel isn't making CPUs as fast as they could at the moment because they have no reason to. They have no real competition and we (the end user) are being overcharged for what they are selling as a result. I don't think we've seen any really big performance increases since about 2009-2010 when LGA 1156 was released to replace LGA 775 in Intel's desktop consumer range.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: