View Single Post
Old 15-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #608
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Guys i have a confession to make, i did something today which is completely out of character and something im not only far from proud about, but rather sick in the stomach over.
To set the scene i will provide some background.

For the past 3 weeks i have been getting bombarded with text messages from my recently turned 16yr old Daughter about how she hates her school etc. etc.
She's a really bright kid, graduated top of her class afrom primary school and well respected amongst the school community for being a leader and positive role model.
I couldnt understand why she all of a sudden changed her attitude towards her studies, well on the weekend it came out as she broke down and exposed to us the extent of the issue.
She's been having problems at School with a few girls to the point of being petrified to go.

It started off with petty stuff over boys and such. She's recently met a lad and they've started seeing each other, its her first boyfriend and she should be over the moon but unfortunately it has ignited a situation which has escelated quite rapidly to the point where over the weekend she was subject to some of the most vicious abuse i have ever had the displeasure of having to read.
My Daughter suffers severe acne, just as i did when i was a teen and went through the same things she's going through now. Now im a firm believer in sticks and stones and all that, so much of what i hear i try to dismiss as typical school yard bitchiness, but when you attack a girls appearance and tell her she should put herself to sleep and never wake up it steps over a line and cannot be unsaid no matter how remorseful the perpetrators are with hindsight.

When i woke this morning to my Daughter screaming and shaking uncontrollably at the thought of going to school today it broke my heart, no kid should be petrified of going to school.
I managed to calm her down and get her to have a shower. Whilst in the shower i checked the morning news online and came across the story of the 13yr old boy who left a heartwrenching suicide note before ending his own life over bullying.
As i sat there reading it, my own childhood came rushing back and i remembered how i felt when i was ridiculed for the same stuff she's copping it over. I remembered how i bottled it all up and had thoughts of suicide or running away and how i felt too embarassed to confront it and bottled it up.

Well when i got to the school my Daughter began shaking again when she saw 3 of the girls.
I just snapped, i dont know why, cant remember, nor can i remember what i said but i know i told them what i thought and that if it ddidnt stop i would see it dealt with accordingly, plus a few expetives for good measure.
I also told them i had nothing against them, i dont even know them, but they cannot get away with such venemous attacks without reprocussion. I didnt touch them or go within a few meters, but they knew i was enraged.

I then got back in the car and realised what i had just done and felt sick in the stomach. Im not a confrontational person normally, would rather avoid a situation than instigate it.

I drove around for a few minutes, seemed like a few minutes anyway, probably closer to an hour, before i returned to the school and booked an appointment with the most senior person i could talk to.
I wanted to face up to the school and show them that although im remorseful for stepping over the boundaries of whats right and wrong, but also to bring to their attention why an ordsinary dude would snap under the circumstances.
The bloke i spoke to was fully understanding and went on to explain how bullying was such a huge issue and that they were working towards bringing down the statistics.
I listened for a while, much of what he said was exactly what you want to hear as a parent but i had to stop him and share a few things.
Firstly, their talk of suspensions and exclusions is a joke, kids embrace it as an opportunity for a holiday and to catch up on Xbox.
Secondly, the reach of the schools responsibilities cannot streatch to what happens on the weekend, to which he agreed.
So despite him assuring me that bullying was on the decrease, i highlighted the fact that the kids simply shift their MO to outside the school environment, who's counting those stats.

In the end i offered my sincere appology for my actions and made it clear that i would stand guilty as charged to face any reprocussions, but that at the same time i will not sit quietly and wait for my Daughter to become a statistic, hold a candle lit vigil and set up a fund me page.

Flame suit on.
This rings pretty close to home.

I was bullied my entire school life. One kid was an absolute ***** to me the whole time I knew him, stole stuff off me and just bullied me to no end. I remember one day my mum dropped me off and confronted him and abused the F*&^ out of him. It caused some dramas but the school had his history on file and knew what he was like. It was more about his mother then wanting to take action against my mum that was the scary part.

I think in circumstances like these your better off taking your frustration out on the school principal and holding them accountable. In the end my father took control of my situation and used to give the school principal a terrible time until proper action was taken, things were never perfect but I survived.

Any decent parent will defend their child till the cows come home. I don't blame you for what you did, I just don't think its probably the best solution to the problem.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: