Thread: tie rod removal
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Re: tie rod removal

Yup, it can be done with a couple of spanners. I changed a rack end on the wagon that way. Slide the boot back from the rack and just unscrew the rod from the rack. Before you start, put a mark on the thread where the lock nut sits going into the tie rod end, so you can get the tie rod end in about the same position when you put the new rod on. If you get it right your wheel alignment should be within a turn either way and you can adjust it by seat of the pants with the 15mm spanner. Go for a drive on a quiet street and adjust the rod by 1/4 turns at a time till the car tracks straight. When you pull up, put the steering on full lock, exposing the rod in the wheel arch behind the wheel, then just reach in with the spanner and tweak the rod till it's right. Without knowing which side you are changing I'll just say it's the left one; so if it pulls left then you know you still have toe out and need to wind out to push the wheel straight, if it feels nervous and the steering wheel feels too light or doesn't want to stay on centre then you don't have enough toe out and need to wind in. To get it just right you might end up with 1/8th turn adjustments in the end but on the whole it's not hard to do with a bit of quiet flat road and 10 minutes. Once happy with the tracking tighten the lock nuts but hold the rod with the 15mm spanner while you do it or you will rotate the rod slightly as you nip up the lock nut and throw out the alignment again.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Last edited by Bushbasher; 09-01-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote