View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 04:33 PM   #20
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: Fiesta 1.6 timing belt question

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppy View Post
I just bought a 2008 Fiesta with 66ks on the clock. It had a new timing belt fitted at 60k. Some people really get ripped off! I'm just glad it wasn't me. The sticker on the engine says to replace the belt again at 120k. So that's two belts before the first one is due for a change!

Should I keep the car long enough for the next timing belt change, I'm up to the challenge. No Ford dealer is going to screw me over. Recently my son and I did the timing belt on his Holden Rodeo ute. Not easy, but I have the tools to make it possible and we enjoyed the day. When it comes to the Fiesta I'll make sure I have the tools to do it too.

Rule 1 through 50 before you commence a job make sure you have the right tools. You can often find needed tools on eBay for little money or refer to your Haynes Manual for substitutes. Be prepared to improvise. Often you can make the tools you need using common materials in your garage using a little ingenuity.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. What's the worst that can happen?
Agreed, some people really get ripped off.

As for what's the worst that can happen? This engine is an interference engine, with a non-keyway crankshaft, making it easier to stuff the timing, and then you have to reset, which would be a bad day at the office.

What's the best that can happen? You'll have a rewarding day and save yourself a bucket load on labour costs.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote