View Single Post
Old 30-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #30
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 'Drive' Interviews Ricky Muir.

If you are not happy with the current electoral system and the type of candidates that are elected because of it then start a protest for change.
It’s not Muir’s fault he made into the Senate, in his own admission he didn’t expect to succeed.
The other alternative was an extreme Christian candidate and in my option at the expense of offending the forum’s extreme Christian members, I’d much rather a poor performing Ricky Muir over an extreme Christian telling me how to live my life.
As far as aligning with PUP, well he can’t go it alone and he doesn’t have many options.
It’s either PUP or the main parties (shutter).

The two things that I do find a worry about Muir are:

He shows little knowledge of his core subject, that being motoring issues.
I don’t expect him to be articulated like a seasoned polly or a university academic, in fact a down to earth delivery would probably work more in his favour.
What concerns me is that he hasn’t from the start been able to talk of the issues he entered politics to champion.
A wait and see attitude in my opinion is just a ruse to hide the fact he has nothing to add.
Everyone who is passionate about something can talk for hours on the subject whether they make sense or not, his silence leaves me to think nothing will ever eventuate from him in the way of meaningful motoring policy.

The second comes from overhearing some people discussing politics at the club a couple of weeks back.
Palmer, Lambe and Muir’s names were being discussed in very unflattering terms and to be fair so were most other politicians.
The comment that stuck in my head about Muir was “what do you expect from a car nut, they don’t have much happening up top anyway”.
If that’s the way the broader community sees motoring enthusiasts then it is most important to have a representative that goes against that perception.
Someone who’ll come across as a strong, intelligent, insightful and level headed figurehead.
Therefore my second concern is Ricky Muir could end up doing more harm than good to the enthusiast community by simply dragging the perception of car enthusiasts as a whole down to his level.
5 users like this post: