View Single Post
Old 24-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #24
Citwit

Default Re: Possible Sticky - Service costs?

I am not saying that you should avoid Ford service departments. I am saying that you should not assume that you will get better service than elsewhere. You need to find a service provider that you can trust. Trust can easily be broken and very hard to regain. It doesn't take much shonky behaviour to break trust.
I could list a large number of items during my cars servicing at the local Ford dealer that either were not done properly or were not done at all. Two instances of the many with me were: use of a 10w40 oil rather than a 5W30 oil. The type of oil they claimed they used does not meet the appropriate Ford standard. You would expect that the dealer would use an oil that met their own standard. When I discussed this with them the claimed they had made a mistake on the invoice. Do I believe them?
Secondly mine is a manual car. It has an hydraulic clutch. The fluid comes out of the same reservoir as the brakes. The service manual with the car recommends that the fluid be changed every 2 years - brake and clutch - it is the same fluid and it is stated in the manual. I paid to have the fluid changed after 2 years as recommended. When I could see no evidence of the clutch fluid being changed. When I discussed this with them they told me that they had only done the brake fluid. I am still waiting for them to offer to complete the job.
What I am saying is that whether you get the job done at the Ford dealer or elsewhere make sure you know what should be done at the service and satisfy yourself afterwards that it was actually done and you can build up a trust with that service provider. Also don't expect that just because it is a Ford dealer that you will automatically get a better standard of service.
Citwit is offline   Reply With Quote