Thread: Cougar problem!
View Single Post
Old 29-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
REDDYZ

Default Re: Cougar problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchy
Hey guys,

I've been having some car trouble and was hoping for a bit of help! I'm a chick and I'll be honest I don't know a huge amount about cars.

I have a 2001 manual cougar and for the last few months it seems to be underrevving at stops and stalling at times. Also, when I drive it hard, particularly in third, fourth and fifth gear, it is really jerking and losing a bit of power.

I took it ford twice. First they replaced the spark plugs and then they replaced the ignition leads and it hasn't helped. I took to a local mechanic and he said he found the PNP switch to be faulty but he isn't sure if that's the cause of the problem because he doesn't know much about cougars.

Help! Thanks

Gretchy
Welcome to Australian Ford Forums Gretchy. You are at the right place and you will get lot of help here.

I wonder what PNP switch is? If it is park and neutral switch then your car shouldn't have one as it is a manual. Anyway,

Only two possibilities for your Cougar's problem.
1) IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) and
2) Vacuum leak.

Its easy to clean IACV. Its a common problem in Cougars that when carbon builds up in this valve it remains stuck open or closed. This is where it is located on the engine.

I would suggest to take it to your mechanic (don't go to Ford, they don't know much about Cougars and you will waste lot of money) and ask him to clean IACV. If this doesn't fix the problem then its vacuum leak. Ask him to check the for vacuum leaks. Am sure this will fix the problem.

Keep us posted on this.

cheers

Yogi
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote