View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Telstar TX5 died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan88
No, it's never died on me, has had a low rev miss since I bought it though. I'm thinking it could be the alarm/immobiliser/anti-hijack system? Any ideas on ripping all that rubbish out?
It could be to do with the alarm / immobiliser (was that a standard fit on the car or aftermarket ?) Personally I am guessing the distributor will be your problem, I searched high and low on mine trying to get to the problem of it cutting out randomly, I changed plugs, leads etc.... and all to no avail :( One day by chance I was talking to a mechanic mate of my brother in law who had come across the issue before and said it was a common fault with this model. On the underneath of the distributor internals there is an electronic circuit board which has a silicone coating, apparently over time the silicone dries out from the heat of the engine and cracks develop which allows moisture to get in and causes corrosion which starts eating into the circuitry. It is not a cheap item to replace and at the time approx. 8 years ago it cost me AU$500 for an exchange reconditioned unit. Before you do anything else see if you can source another distributor from somewhere and try that, that would also explain the miss you have been getting
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote