View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy
Good news, but also a reminder, that these people that aren't buying or upgrading their toyos from toyota, they are shopping else where to voice their disapproval. Ford and GM are happy to take a bite from this, but its not a true representation of them caputuring more market of their own accord.

I've had plenty of thoughts about that myself, trying to gauge what increased sales really mean, beyond the improved economic state from last year. Of course sales will be better this year because this time last year was a horrible time for all car makers. But, as for sales garnered as a result of customer's displeasure with the Toyota recall, I didn't really know what to think. Here is what I think now.

Some people say that Ford is only gaining a portion of their sales increases because of the Toyota recall. To this I say "you bet."

It used to be that Toyota gained in sales because of a Ford recall, that sparked people to say "See? That Japanese car is better." Because of Ford's recalls and quality problems Toyota gained sales. Well, how is it any different when Ford gains sales this way?

It's different because it shatters the paradigm. Toyota is the automatic "go-to" for quality......isn't it? Not now because of this seemingly unique recall and subsequent recalls.

Had any other car maker been in Toyota's position the same thing would happen. For many, that previously hadn't thought so, Ford and GM are now viewed as being a better decision when buying a car. Ford and GM have been improving their companies and their products, and Toyota is having very questionable issues. The perception of these notions, and the news on all companies in recent months, is how the car market goes. It's the way it's been, just usually in the opposite direction.

Yes, this is a true representation of their own accord.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote