View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #81
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

wow it been a while since i last up dated,
Life has been tuff this last few months, first we moved and then christmas, then i lost my job in January.
I start a new job on wednesday, but the savings account(?) has gone.
While ive been off i got a few things done, first i sorted out the wipers, they were slow and noisey and only had one speed. Over to fatass's place and took a few reading on the multi meter.
I had removed the plug for the wiper motor, so i could feed the wires through a small hole, this left me with four spade terminals to get on the right connector. when the car was mocked up it all worked fine, (wiper switch is EB Falcon), but i had swapped two wires, running the motor backwards!
So i got home and changed them to the correct way, the blew fuse after fuse. Arrrgh...
Pulled the wiper motor out and had a look inside, found the braided copper wire to the brushes on the motor was caught under the chrome cap. sorted this and re installed. All good now.

Next item was the blower belt idler pulley bracket. i had made this from 12mm billet alloy plate in 6061 series. this had worked fine but on some testing i had found that it was flexing when the motor was on boost.

i was getting the same sound as a pinging motor, so i knocked off some initial timing, then some more and finally more... it was now at about 7 BTDC and didnt want to idle. Thats when i noticed the bracket flexing and the belt jumping on boost. put the timing back to 16BTDC, idle improved.

I brought some 20 mm thick alloy plate, machine grade (5801 i think from memory, first ive used this grade) and made a new one, its yet to be polished, but it works great, ive also intergrated the alternator bracket so there is now one less bracket to install. Photos to follow once i take some!

Also upsgaded the thermo fans. I have run two 10" jobs since the original build, but they were cheap and nasty ones, so i got a sweped vane Spal 16" fan. it is rated at 2800 cfm and is super quite.
Of course, this required a new fan shroud! Now this is the third one, i over making shrouds!!

The first was on the car when i ran a single 14" fan, the second was more of a cover for the top of the radiator when i ran to two 10"'s.
Once again, ill post fotos when i take some...
This fan worked great while the car was not running, quite ect. to i ran the car for the first time in a month and a half, as soon as it temp came up the fan cut in then stopped : . Anyway it draws over 20 amps on start up and 11 running. i had a 15 amp fuse installed for the two 10's. No big deal really. Exept the fuse is under the center comsole! Seat out, false floor out then stereo and monitor then the console can come out..
It all works good now, but im going to move some wiring and fuses to under the dash, just to make life easier. it all looks neater now, but is a pain to work on.

One last mod was to reposition the exhaust. it was a little low at the rear, just before it goes over the diff, so i cut and welded for the day. This was done to help for rego. it diidnt bother me much, but it hung just below the legal limit at 92 mm. probley the car has settled a bit since all the weight has gone into it as i was above 100mm on mockup.

So i know you guys are photo happy!. here are some shots i took (on the phone) during the shoot for extreme mag. Its on the shelf now for another week or so. this was back in September i think.

Cheers.

MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote