View Single Post
Old 25-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #24
kooky
WRX terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
Only just heard this briefly on the news, this is an absolute joke.

Roadwork speed limit signs have become an absolute joke in this state, how often have you seen the speed limit down to 40km/h and yet the work being carried out is about 50 metres off the road and yes with huge concrete barriers protecting the guys. I too am all for ensuring they are well protected but sometimes it goes beyond that and I really think they should get there mums out their so they can hide under there aprons when the big bad drivers are going past.

It used to be that when the end of the day came they would cover up or replace the roadwork limit signs with either the regular speed or a speed lesser than the regular but greater than the one on display whilst work was in progress. These days it seems that with all the new "traffic management" companies out their they seem to have a need for 5 times as many bollards and about the same in advisory signs. I wonder who the "friend" is in parliament that helped with the new legislation and how much his/her party fund has been padded by all the companies.

I really think that police should be using discretion in these circumstances when there is no physical roadworks actually in progress, even during daylight hours.

However I must say that if this was in one of the 60 zones and they were going 120 then this is really uncalled for, I think most officers will allow maybe 20 over so they just pushed there luck a little too hard. Keep in mind that the lanes have been narrowed through most of these areas so a small mistake can have big consequences.

I pick up cars from the side of the road all time but I certainly don't see too many drivers slowing down for me, I have no concrete barrier just a flab barrier, maybe I might bounce off the front

I just hope that they do fight it and the lawyers highlight just how pathetic the whole thing has become with speed limits being imposed outside of actual work being performed at these sights, hopefully someone that can do something about it sees this and will actually make the appropriate changes.
I am rather offended by your post, please explain this to my buisness partner and good friend of 12 years whose father died on site when an unroadworthy speeding car ran him down as he was helping another contractor load his trailor.

The new advertising and speed limits were a direct result of his death, I would like to think that a man as great as he was, did not die for nothing, I hate to be in my mates head every time he drives through a roadworks site.

Sometimes these things are the result of real life tragedies not:
"the "friend" is in parliament that helped with the new legislation and how much his/her party fund has been padded by all the companies."
as you so eloquently put it.