View Single Post
Old 31-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAl
i think this whole unopened ect ect is more tuning shop braging rights to get an "edge" in sales.
Of course it's bragging rights that's why shops like mine race our street cars down the 1/4 to show our talents and to get different performance data to show our customers or potential customers what works and what doesn't.

If you got two cars out there from two different shops and one car is consistently quicker and faster (don't have to win - the driver makes a difference there) the punter watching or reading the forums will i think go to the shop that runs quicker, isn't that human nature??

Why do we "strip" the car for racing? Well been there done that in a full weight manual BA XR8 ute and it's extremely difficult to get these cars to hook up on a drag strip in street trim, there's no fun in pedalling the car all the way down there. The best i could achieve in "FULL" street trim was 13.14 with a passsanger. The next week with 4.10 diff gears and only slicks and front runners being the changes it went 12.58 and then a week later in sydney it went 12.49.

Bring it home and take off exhaust, tailgate, pass seat, 90/10 shocks, towbar and lighten it by about 110kg and the times drop to 12.15.

It's alot more fun running in a race set up than it is in full street trim.

It's horses for courses, whatever takes your fancy if you want to run in full street trim that's fine but it's a lot more fun when you set it up for racing.

And as i have said many times before until there are rules drawn up and we have an indepentent scrutineering these cars well it's run what you brung and do as you please.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote